On this day!
- For starters it is the 158th day of the year (Gregorian calendar).
- It is National Chocolate Ice Cream Day (USA). What I want to know is when is the Rum & Raisin Ice Cream Day?
- Birthdays of note: James Young Simpson, Scottish obstetrician who popularized chloroform for medicinal use, born in Bathgate, West Lothian, Scotland (1811-1870). Sadly chloroform gets a bad rap in later years as the choice of sleeping agent for serial killers on the big (and small) screen…
- Of course there is Tom Jones (1940-), and now I have an earworm in the form of What’s New Pussycat? 😉 It’s actually Sir Thomas Jones Woodward for the sticklers of protocol.
- Muammar Gaddafi also born today (1942-) and for some reason I thought he’d already left us. My bad.
- Mike Pence (1959-) (of Republican Party infamy). I’m going with the if you can’t say anything nice, then don’t say anything at all approach here.
- Both Gia Carides (1964-) & Anna Korv (1979-) Australian actresses have their birthday today, and that means they are both Geminis (if that’s important to you).
- My dad falls into to this list also, you can take a stab at guessing the year!
- In 1557 England declared war on France. After this latest (Brexit) split do you think they’ll get back together again?
- Meanwhile in 1905 Norway took the plunge and broke away from Sweden, a union that had been in existence since 1814
- In 1989 this happened: for one second this morning, the time is 01:23:45, 6-7-89, well that is if you read the calendar mm.dd.yy. Personally mm.dd.yy confuses me no end, so I have to wait until July 6th for that particular anniversary!
- In 2006 British Houses of Parliament are temporarily shut down due to anthrax alert. So much has happened that it’s not something I remember well. Maybe it wasn’t a long shut down.
- Mars Curiosity Rover finds organic matter, including methane, on Mars in studies published in journal “Science”. Now there is new space race on…
- This time last year, in COVID-19 related news, global death toll passes 400,000 with confirmed cases at 6,973,195 according to Johns Hopkins figures. This was also the time we started thinking that maybe life would be normal by Christmas. 🤣🤣🤣 on June 7th.
- 2021: Only 55 new cases of COVID-19 in Finland and 47.2% of the population have received at least 1 shot in the vaccination program. Definitely not making any predictions on normal this year!
So now a question for you dear reader: more or less of the above? I’ll try and get more Finnish names and facts for next time round.